Search This Blog

Monday, January 19, 2009

Industrial neglect



I went to the fish market on Sunday, a mixed experience as usual. On the way I noticed that the coal loader is deteriorating even further. Every so often there is a flurry of activity resulting in further sanctioned demolition of the structure. The signs claiming that it was going to be restored, preserved, or an appropriate interpretation rebuilt from or of it have now disappeared.

My prediction is total destruction through neglect, some twee statue in its place and the rumoured apartments and retail complex planned for that section of the foreshore, a little slice of the ugliness that is Port Douglas, will go ahead in the next year or two.

By then the asleep-at-the-wheel state Labor government will have got their just desserts but it will be too late for this and other heritage sites. The city will have been Sartorised almost completely and the Land value and anti-Environment Court will have sanctioned the bulldozing of everything of any historical merit.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the self portrait!

Fresh Local said...

Thanks - I went for egocentric but subtle.

Unknown said...

The homunculus in an eyeball gazing back at itself...

Unknown said...

You are absolutely right. I love this structure if I can call it that and ever time I walk past I gaze longingly into the shadows ogling the old machinery. My plan is to back a barge up to the building late one night and start loading (kidding!). Lets see what the inept politicians can pull out of their hat.
Z